After Car Accident


Knowing what to do after a car accident can possibly save you thousands. There are some key things that you need to be aware of, if you happen to be involved in a vehicle accident. We can assist in guiding you through any legalities, that may arise as a result of being involved in an accident.

What To Do After A Car Accident

Police must be contacted immediately after vehicle accident (Dial 911). The vehicles should be left where they are if possible, until the police arrive on the scene. There is also some important information that you should obtain from the other driver, such as:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Driver’s license number
  • Home telephone number
  • Work telephone number, and cell phone number (if possible)
  • Vehicle license number
  • Insurance company number and policy number
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses

Pictures of the damaged vehicle as well as the accident scene itself should be taken. It is important that this is done as soon as possible, as scenes may change quickly depending on the time of day or the weather conditions.

Seek Medical Attention If Necessary

Consult a doctor urgently, regardless of whether you think you are injured or not, as injuries that result from vehicle accidents, do not necessarily manifest themselves immediately. A visit to a doctor will allow for the commencement of a permanent record of any injuries related to the accident.

You also need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to advise them of the accident. In most cases, if there is damage exceeding $500, injuries or a fatality, the accident must be reported. You also need to be knowledgeable of any time limits, that are specified in our insurance policy.

Dealing With Your Insurance Company

If the other party is at fault, your insurance company must be notified as soon as possible. Also, if you have collision insurance you should deal with your own insurance company, as they owe you a promise of good faith to expeditiously and fairly settle your property damage. If the fault is not yours, then your insurance rates will remain unchanged and your insurance company will ensure, that the deductible costs are reimbursed by the other insurance company.

You need to inform the insurance carrier of the other person, if you are injured. You are not legally required to divulge detailed information on these injuries. All your medical bills should be submitted to your own insurance company, as it is their responsibility to obtain reimbursement from the insurance company of the other driver./

What NOT to do after a Car Accident

If you are not clear-headed, do not give any statements to the police or anyone else. Wait until you are healthy enough, then you can provide a statement to the police officer on the scene. You should not give any type of written or oral statement to the other insurance carrier. A copy of your statement and the relevant record can be provided to them by your insurance company.

If the other insurance company sends an authorization agreement, you are advised not to sign it. This authorization usually releases your medical and employment records for them to review. You have the right to find out from the insurance company which records are required, and then provide them only with the records that are pertinent to your case.

You claim should not be settled prematurely, or should you exaggerate the extent of your injuries or damage. If this is eventually revealed, you will receive nothing and could face a counter-suit. Unless you have verified anything the other insurance company tells you, with your own company or a qualified lawyer, then do not readily believe them.

Please contact our auto accident attorneys today, if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident so that your free consultation can be scheduled. Do not delay, just call Law Offices of Matthew C. Hines at (770) 874-1754.